Halfway Prairie School

The Halfway Prairie School is located in the Town of Mazomanie at the junction of County Highway F and SH 19, two and one-half miles north of the Village of Black Earth. Halfway Prairie School is the oldest rural elementary school in Dane County. This one-room school was operated from 1844 until it closed as a result of consolidation in 1961. It was given the name of Halfway Prairie because it was halfway between Mineral Point and Portage, a popular transportation route for early miners. Visitors may view the inside of the school in its authentically restored condition on holidays and Sunday afternoons 1:00pm to 5:00pm, from Memorial Day through Labor Day compliments of Friends of Old Halfway Prairie.





Google Maps are provided for reference. Trails, park boundaries, parking lots and other features on this map may not be up-to-date. Please check the official maps for up-to-date information.