Dogs in Parks
For Our Best Friends!
We welcome dogs in the Dane County Park System in three ways (see below). Service dogs that are working are not required to have a Dane County Parks dog permit. Please note that campsite reservations in a campground include a complimentary daily dog permit good for the duration of the stay.*
Dane County Parks is a national leader in the development of off-leash dog parks. We now have seven off-leash dog parks to choose from and you can visit them all to discover your favorite -- see list below and our Overview Map. Note that a dog permit is required and valid at all dog parks in the cooperating communities of Madison, Sun Prairie and Middleton. See our Dog Parks Brochure for a list of dog parks, rules and etiquette. Learn more about the history of our dog park program.
- Badger Prairie
- Capital Springs Recreation Area
- Indian Lake
- Prairie Moraine
- Token Creek
- Yahara Heights
2. Dane County Park System
Dogs are welcome in all Dane County Park System lands with the following requirements/exceptions:
- Dogs must have a valid dog permit
- Dogs must be leashed and restrained by a 6-foot static leash
- Dogs are not allowed in designated beach areas at Goodland, Mendota and Stewart Lake County Parks
- Dogs are not allowed on groomed cross-country ski or snowmobile trails
- Dogs are not allowed on the boardwalk portion of the Lower Yahara River Trail
3. Dane County Wildlife Areas
Dogs are welcome in Dane County Wildlife Areas with the following requirements:
- Dogs must have a valid dog permit unless used in the act of hunting during a designated Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Department (WDNR) hunting season
- Dogs may be off-leash if used in the act of hunting; else they must be leashed and restrained by a 6-foot static leash
* A complimentary dog permit is not included in group camp reservations.